Ukraine will receive even more units of heavily modernized T-72 tanks – Technology Org


Additional thirty T-72 tanks were donated by one of the African countries. These units will be upgraded following the initial batch of 90 tanks of the same model.

The T-72 tank modernized by Excalibur Army for the Armed Forces of Ukraine, December 2022 / Photo credit: Novinky.cz

All the upgrades will be done by the same Czech defense company Excalibur Army. The information about which African country made this donation was not released.

How soon Ukraine may expect to see these machines on the battlefield? The representatives of the Excalibur Army say the company fully restores and modernizes one tank every four days.

A single modernized tank in 4 days may seem not much. But there is a lot of work involved in this process. According to the producer, on average, 66 working days are needed to restore a single T-72. 15% of components required for upgrades are made in foreign countries. The remaining 85% are restored by Czech specialists.

This is what T-72 looks like before they enter restoration and modernization facility in Czech Republic. Image credit: Novinky.cz

This is what T-72 looks like before they enter the restoration and modernization facility in Czech Republic. Image credit: Novinky.cz

Excalibur Army has already confirmed that the first 5 upgraded tanks have been delivered to Ukraine, and this number is expected to increase to 18 by the end of this year. The entire order of 90 + 30 T-72 units is planned for delivery in 2023.

It should also be noted that the modernized T-72 become very different machines, because they get more powerful engines, new dynamic protection elements, modern communications systems, thermal imagers, and fire control systems.






Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *